College basketball notebook: Knowles, Thomas earn conference honors

Junior forward TaShawn Thomas made the American Athletic Conference's honor roll. | Caitlin Hilton/The Daily Cougar

Junior forward TaShawn Thomas made the American Athletic Conference’s honor roll. | Caitlin Hilton/The Daily Cougar

After joining the starting lineup against Rutgers and helping lead UH to a 1-1 week, redshirt freshman forward Danrad Knowles was selected as the American Athletic Conference Freshman of the Week.

Against Rutgers, Knowles scored a game-high 16 points and had four blocks during the Cougars’ 77-55 win. Knowles came off the bench and scored six points during UH’s 90-52 loss to defending national champion Louisville.

“He is going to be a special player,” said head coach James Dickey after the Cougars’ win on Sunday. “He’s got to get more physical, and I thought he did during the second half.”

Knowles said he shook off some nerves early in the game.

“I shot an air ball on the first shot,” Knowles said. “I got it out of my system early, so that was good for the rest of the game.”

Junior forward TaShawn Thomas was named to the league’s Weekly Honor Roll. In two games last week, Thomas was the Cougars’ leading scorer and rebounder. With 16 points and 11 rebounds at Louisville, he posted his conference-leading seventh double-double of the season and also scored 12 points with four rebounds with three assists and a blocked shot against Rutgers.