Administration

Dean of Libraries resigns after 17-year commitment

UH’s long-term dean of libraries and Elizabeth D. Rockwell chair resigned Wednesday and will step down once her successor is appointed, Provost Paula Short said in a campus-wide email.

DSC_0761edited

Dana Rooks helped shape library services in the state of texas, such as founding TexShare, during her 17-year tenure as dean of libraries but will be resigning. | 2010 Houstonian Yearbook

Dana Rooks, who has served as dean for 17 years, raised more than $30 million while serving in her position and was vital in the 2005 renovation of the M.D. Anderson Memorial Library.

In addition to her many library accolades, such as being named Librarian of the Year in 1997 and recipient of the Texas Library Association Distinguished Service Award in 2009, she has Short’s utmost regards for all her statewide triumphs.

“Dana has helped shape library services in the state of Texas,” Short said in the email. “She is recognized as one of the founders of TexShare, an innovative model for statewide library resource sharing. She is also one of the founders of the Texas Digital Library and currently serves as chair of its governing board.”

Nationally, Rooks dedicated herself as a member of the board of directors for the Association of Research Libraries and the Association of College and Research Libraries.

Despite her resignation of her dean position, Rooks will continue to be a part of the University.

“I am pleased that upon her stepping down, she has agreed to assist me on several new initiatives in a new role in the provost office,” Short said in the email.

Details about the initiatives and the new position in the provost office are not yet available to the public.