Academics & Research

College of Engineering plans research facility

The Cullen College of Engineering intends to construct a research-focused facility, conceptualized as the Multidisciplinary Research and Engineering Building, with the groundbreaking scheduled to take place in June.

“This research-focused building allows the College of Engineering to recruit more graduate students and faculty, and conduct more top-notch research,” said Russell Dunlavy, chief development officer at the College of Engineering. “The student body is growing in the college, so a new building is needed to be able to accommodate the growth that we’re experiencing.”

Startup costs are estimated at $51 million, with $10 million stemming from private foundations, engineering alumni and Cullen’s industry partner. The location chosen for the MREB is the site of an old laboratory, Engineering Building Y.

Though the MREB remains in planning, it is ready to reach a new stage.

“Right now, the University is in the process of finalizing what we would call the design plan,” Dunlavy said. “They’re working with the architects to determine what the building will actually look like, designing the schematics and floor plans, for example. Once everything is finalized, the construction company we’re working with will begin groundbreaking.”

The MREB is aimed more toward graduate students and doctoral candidates. However, undergraduates will benefit from its inception as well.

“Our plan is that if we can we can free up space in (Cullen College of Engineering) buildings 1 and 2, we can renovate and remodel space that is existing,” Dunlavy said. “This, in turn, will allow us to accommodate more undergraduate students, space for classrooms, student organizations and et cetera, which is another one of our long-term goals.”

According to an official brochure on Cullen’s website, the $36 million annual research expenditure increase resulting from MREB plans will have an estimated $612 million economic impact in the city of Houston. The MREB will also reportedly elevate Cullen to Top 50 Graduate Engineering School status.

“The MREB will affect the college’s ability to provide for the engineering industry, which is always looking for top-notch graduate and undergraduate students,” Dunlavy said. “The MREB will help us carry on the tradition of the UH’s Cullen College of Engineering.”

The College of Engineering hopes to open the doors of the MREB in Spring 2016.