Cougar Pride receives $3.5 million in donations for 2013

With more than 2,500 members contributing, Cougar Pride, the UH Athletics fundraising department, recorded $3.5 million in donations for 2013.

The $3.5 million set Cougar Pride’s highest fundraising mark, topping its previous record of $3.1 million to rank eighth among American Athletic Conference programs.

The Cougar Pride high-water mark does not include private donations to any capital campaigns or donations to one of the 12 sport-specific booster clubs.

Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Mack Rhoades said he thinks Cougar Pride can raise more.

“They are the lifeblood of our department and, without their support, our student athletes would not be able to enjoy success in the classroom and on the field,” Rhoades said. “While we are very appreciative of the dollars raised, we know we still have a surmountable challenge in front of us as we continue to expand our donor base and donations received.”

The $3.5 million year gives Cougar Pride an increase of $1.8 million in annual funds raised since $1.7 million was collected in 2009.

“We realize, however, we have only scratched the surface of our potential and continue to push forward to a number of goals, including fully funding student athlete scholarships,” said Houston Associate AD for External Relations Jeramiah Dickey.