Student Government

Casting the ballot this SGA election season

The Election Commission is working toward historic voter turnout this semester.

Students from across campus are running for president, vice president, senator-at-large and senate positions for the 51st Student Government Association. Four parties have emerged: REDvolution, House of Red, Cougar Pawlitics and The “We” Party.

Campaign season has begun, and candidates have been organizing themselves and their party affiliates in an effort to promote their platform and get students voting.

In an effort to heighten student exposure to the election season, The Daily Cougar will host a presidential debate at 6 p.m. today in the Kiva Room of Farish Hall. Students will have the opportunity to meet the prospective student representatives and see their visions for the University. The Daily Cougar will accept questions online via Twitter with the tag #dailycougarSGAdebate.

Students can cast their ballots from 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. February 25 to 27 in polling stations across campus. Permanent locations include the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, the University Center, the University Center Satellite, the Arts Quad and the M. D. Anderson Memorial Library, according to Section V of the SGA Election Rules and Regulations.

President Cedric Bandoh’s two-year reign will come to an end this semester, as he will not run for re-election because he is graduating in May.