Singles celebrate with family, friends

Valentine’s Day is no longer only for romance.

When it comes to this holiday, some couples feel obligated to spend it with their significant other. However, not every person thinks has that special someone to spend it with.

Political science senior Juan Trujillo feels that Valentine’s Day could be spent with family.

“For me, this day is not only for your lover but for friends and family as well,” Trujillo said. “I’m spending the day with my family, since my sister is coming in from Texas State, but this is how we usually celebrate this day.”

While others are making plans to either go out on a date or hangout with a loved one, supply chain management Lucio Vallarta is working Friday, but he said Valentine’s Day didn’t even cross his mind.

“I’m just going with the flow,” Vallarta said. “Maybe I’ll meet a girl by then, and I’ll take her out on Valentine’s Day, but for now, I’m scheduled to work.”

Valentine’s Day is marked on almost everybody’s calendars. Although there are individuals who tend to avoid this date, construction management junior Darcy Gomez said it’s a great time to value her friends and spend it like any other day.

“I think it’s a good bonding experience,” Gomez said. “I usually go out with other friends who are single like me. We have a nice dinner, and it’s always a great time with them.”

People like psychology alumna Betsy Galicia have made plans with friends instead of looking for a date. Galicia said that although she is not in a relationship on Valentine’s Day, she is making plans with her friends for the day after.

“In the past, I have gone out on Valentine’s Day, but this year, my friend invited me to go to karaoke to spend it with her,” Galicia said. “I have friends that tell me that I should find a date, but I have others that are single and want to hang out with me. It’s the thought that counts.”