Alumni

Alumnus and judge passes away

Judge Frederick Eugene Edwards, 63, died Feb. 10 after complications from a long illness.

A sixth-generation Texan, Edwards served 20 years as judge of the 9th District Court in Montegomery County, where he presided over the general jurisdiction court and was known for taking on many complex litigation cases ranging from class actions to billion-dollar merger and acquisition cases. Since leaving the judicial bench in 2013, Edwards has served as a special judge and popular mediator.

Born in Cleveland, Texas, Edwards graduated from Conroe High School, serving under Congressman John Dowdy in Washington, D.C. in 1963, which gave him the opportunity to be an eyewitness to Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech. From there, his passion for politics and history only grew stronger.

He earned his bachelor’s degree from Texas A&M University-Commerce, which was named East Texas State University at that time, and furthered his education with a law degree from the UH Law Center in 1974.

Edwards also founded the Child Advocates Program in Montgomery County.

The judge is survived by his wife, attorney Linda Thompson, to whom he was married for 30 years; his children, Joseph, Elizabeth and Kathryn; his daughter-in-law, Katherine; his mother, Joyce; his siblings, Jimmie, Elwanda and Wanda Minshew, and their families; his cousins Debbie and Waye Gurley and his great nieces Shelby and Jamie Threadgill.