Baseball

UH pitching duo receives American Athletic Conference recognition

After his 7.0 shutout innings and one-hit bid that helped UH secure a weekend sweep of Nicholls State, sophomore Jared West was honored as the American Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Week for the first time in his career, while junior Aaron Garza was named to the league’s weekly Honor Roll.

West tossed a career-high 7.0-shutout innings as the Cougars’ Sunday starter, allowing just one hit and no walks. West had a perfect game for 6.2 innings, not allowing a single base runner, until a two-out double ended the no-hit effort.

West finished with a career-high four strikeouts in the shutout performance in just his third start as a Cougar that led to his first collegiate victory. He became the first American Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Week, as 2014 marks the inaugural season of the new conference.

Garza made a statement in UH’s opener against Nicholls State to earn a spot on the league’s weekly Honor Roll list. He tossed 7.0 shutout frames, striking out a career-tying six and walking just one to accompany just two hits allowed. The shutout victory marked Garza’s eighth career win.

West and Garza were part of the starting pitching rotation that tossed 21 shutout innings over the weekend as sophomore Jake Lemoine went seven innings in his Saturday start as well.