Tennis

Vogasari earns American Athletic Conference recognition

Vogasari7

Freshman Despoina Vogasari has not yet dropped a set, as she is 10-0 overall, which helped her earn American Athletic Conference Tennis Player of the Week honors.  |  Courtesy of Stephen Pinchback

Freshman Despoina Vogasari became the first Cougar to receive American Athletic Conference Tennis Player of the Week honors, Tuesday.

Vogasari posted a 4-0 overall record last week, going 2-0 in singles action from the No. 1 position and teaming up with junior Elena Kordolaimi to post  a 2-0 in doubles play vs. No. 70 Kansas and Mississippi State last week.

In addition to her perfect record, Vogasari managed to defeat Mississippi State’s No. 72 Georgia Patrasc last Sunday in dominating fashion, 6-1, 6-2, marking UH’s first victory against a ranked individual in more than six years.

On Friday, she took down Kansas’ Dylan Windom, 6-3, 6-2, handing her one of her two losses in the season.

Vogasari is ranked No. 125 in the world and is a perfect 10-0 in overall action this season, while posting a 6-0 record in singles play and a 4-0 mark in doubles play. Vogasari has yet to drop a set so far this season.

Vogasari aims to continue her good play this weekend, as the Cougars will travel to take on Washington State on Friday and No. 40 Washington on Sunday, in what will be the team’s first road tests of the season.