Men's Basketball

College basketball notebook: NCAA tournament field narrows

No. 6 Duke def No. 4 Syracuse 

The much-anticipated rematch lived up to the hype as Duke got its revenge and won at home 66-60. Syracuse was down by two points when an apparent game-tying layup was thought to be made, but an offensive foul was called, which some found questionable. Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim stormed the court not agreeing with the call, earning two technicals and an ejection from the game.

“I just thought that was the worst call of the year, that’s all,” Boeheim said. “I hated to see the game decided on that.”

No. 16 Michigan def No. 18 Michigan State             

The battle of Michigan was up for grabs as well as first place in the Big Ten Conference. Michigan was led by guard Nick Stauskas who scored two of his 25 points in the second half. Michigan rallied from an 11-point deficit to defeat its in-state rival 79-70.

“I just came out with the mindset in the second half that I wasn’t going to be stopped,” Stauskas said. “Once I made a couple shots, it kept going from there.”

Michigan out scored Michigan State 45 to 34. Michigan improved to 19-7 and improves to 11-3 in the conference and is now in first place in the Big Ten.

No. 23 SMU def Connecticut

SMU went on the road and got a key victory as it beat Connecticut, 64-55. SMU was led by Nick Moore and Nick Russell with 15 points. With this win, the Mustangs finished the sweep of the Huskies. SMU has been one of the most surprising teams in the nation this year. If SMU makes the tournament it will be the first time since 1993.

No. 7 Louisville def 11 Cincinnati

With seconds left in the game, Louisville went to senior guard Russ Smith for an 18 foot jumper with 2.2 seconds left , draining the shot that gave his team the 58-57 win.

“Honestly, it felt really good leaving my hands,” Smith said, as he hit the game winning shot.

Louisville won its sixth straight game and improved to 23-4. These teams sit one and two in the standing in the American Athletic  Conference and could end up playing each other again in the Conference Championship.