Travel

Students prepare to spring into break

DisneyWorld

Biochemistry junior Tosobia Ogbe is visiting family and taking her brother to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla. for Spring Break. | Courtesy of Wikimedia

The week is winding down, and many students on campus have plans for Spring Break.

Broadcast journalism sophomore Dymond Lee planned to go to South Padre, but the plans fell through. Instead, she will visit Austin next week, helping her brother network at the annual South by Southwest Conferences and Festivals.

“It’s new to me; I’ve been hearing about it, and my friends are always talking about,” Lee said. “My brother is a music producer who creates beats for rappers. He’s trying to get out there and take some of the classes.”

The classes being offered at the festival range from engineering to how to get into the music business.

“You don’t have to be a music artist,” Lee said. “You can basically go into anything in the industry and just get tips from people who know what they’re doing.”

In addition to networking, she will also see up-and-coming artists.

“I want to go there and discover people because I looked at the list, and I didn’t know who all those people were,” Lee said. “I listened to little snippets, and they sounded really good.”

AnimeMatsuri

Creative writing junior Karina Sokulski is attending the annual Anime Matsuri convention with her fiancé during Spring Break. | Courtesy of Wikimedia

Creative writing junior Karina Sokulski will focus on her writing during the break.

“(The writing) is personal,” Sokulski said. “It’s for a blog and for things I’m publishing online — kind of everything at once.”

Although she does not have any followers, she enjoys spending her time formulating stories.

“I’m playing around with a fantasy story ‘Vagabond’ where mankind is basically introduced to a new predator,” Sokulski said. “My other story is a 1920s drama ‘Honey Suckle.'”

Sokulski is also attending the Anime Matsuri convention with her fiancé March 16 at the George R. Brown Convention Center.

“Even though I’m not dressing up, I’m so excited,” Sokulski said. “I’m going to blow all my money, but who needs to eat?”

Biochemistry junior Tosobia Ogbe is going on a road trip to visit family in Georgia and South Carolina. She is also visiting Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla. She said it’s the first big family trip they have taken in a few years.

Ogbe is especially excited for her younger brother.

“My little brother has never really gone anywhere big like that. He’s going to love it,” Ogbe said. “My family and I will be in Orlando for a few days, and it’ll be enough time to kind of get to see everything and do everything.”