Baseball

UH bats thrive during lopsided win

Days after UH batters left numerous base runners on the bags during games against Texas and TCU, Cougar bats were making all the right noises against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. The Cougars earned a 10-0 win, complete with 17 hits on Wednesday at Cougar Field.

In the last home game before the team embarks for California for the Dodgertown Classic in Los Angeles and Malibu, UH turned in a strong performance, with the star being senior shortstop Frankie Ratcliff, who went 6-6 with three RBIs and two walks. The six hits are a school record.

“It feels good to go out there and get hits like that. I think the entire team did a good job of going to the plate and battling,” Ratcliff said.

The pitching staff, having yet to truly struggle this season, pitched its sixth shutout of the season. Junior Matt Locus got his first win, both of the season and as a pitcher at UH.

“I felt like tonight was a complete game. I’m really proud of the ballclub for the bounce-back win,” said head coach Todd Whitting. “We had two tough losses over the weekend, so I was anxious to see how they would respond coming into tonight against a really good team.”

Now 9-2 for the season, UH heads to California to start Dodgertown Classic play on Friday.