Men's Basketball

Dickey steps down as head coach

After four years at UH, James Dickey has decided to step down as head coach.

Dickey, who went 64-62 at UH, including one postseason berth as the Cougars advanced to the 2013 College Basketball Invitational quarterfinals, stepped down to attend to “a family matter that requires my time and energy,” he said.

“This has been a difficult decision to make. I continually preach to my players about being an everyday guy, and the balance of your personal and professional life is a major part of it. With that being said, I have a family matter that requires my time and energy, and I will regretfully step down from my current position at the University of Houston,” Dickey said.

The Cougars went 20-13 and missed the postseason despite defeating three top-25 teams, its most wins over ranked opponents since the 1983-84 season. UH will conduct a national search for its next head coach, said Athletics Director Mack Rhoades.

“The next Houston men’s basketball coach will inherit a very promising situation thanks to the tireless efforts of Coach Dickey and his staff,” Rhoades said. “Coupled with the talented young men returning, facility upgrades in progress and membership in one of the premier basketball conferences in the nation, we feel this is a very attractive opportunity.”