Golf

Ross reaches international stage

Senior golfer James Ross earned 2.5 points for Team Europe when he competed for his native Scotland. | Esteban Portillo/The Daily Cougar

Senior golfer James Ross earned 2.5 points for Team Europe when he competed for his native Scotland.  |  Esteban Portillo/The Daily Cougar

After competing for himself and his teammates, senior golfer James Ross added his country and continent to the list.

Ross, who has four top 10 finishes and four rounds in the 60s this season, competed for Team Europe while representing Scotland during an international match in India. He and 13 other European golfers defeated Asia/Pacific 17.5-14.5 Friday to earn the Sir Michael Bonnallack Trophy 2014.

Ross scored 2.5 points during four match-play events.

“It’s a great environment,” Ross said. “You know you have to show up every day or you’ll get beat.”

Director of Golf Jonathan Dismuke said he wasn’t surprised that Ross had a good showing at the the Karnataka Golf Association course in Bangalore, India, because Ross is mature, has a good short game and is a complete player.

“Golf is a global game now. It’s extremely competitive. You need to have players that can compete at international level if you want to win a national title,” Dismuke said.

Ross made his way to UH from Michigan State, where he competed for two seasons. When he arrived, UH gained a team leader with a great sense of humor, Dismuke said.

“Having the stability of a guy like James is invaluable,” Dismuke said.

Ross and the Cougars will hit the greens again April 5 for the 3M Augusta Invitational at Forest Hills Golf Club in Augusta, Ga.