Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Concerning the comparison of Bulldog Ministries to the Westboro Baptist Church

Editor’s Note: This letter was written in regard to a recent Crossfire article that concerned the death of Westboro Baptist Church leader Fred Phelps. As a disclaimer, despite what Mr. Stokes believes, The Daily Cougar is not representative of the University of Houston administration as a whole, and the opinions expressed in the Crossfire article were only those of the writers featured. However, we do stand by our writers’ right as Americans and members of the press to express their beliefs freely.

On March 24th, The Daily Cougar compared us, Bulldog Ministries, to Westboro Baptist Church. The Daily Cougar is one of the main publications for the University of Houston. In the article they slammed us as being “bigots.”

We are not Westboro Baptist Church! Bulldog Ministries is a street-preaching ministry that preaches the Gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the city of Houston and in Texas. We preach at sporting events, concerts, parks, biker events, etc. We do not preach or hold signs at anyone’s funeral … Also we are a soul-winning ministry. In Christian terms, that means we are trying to “win” people to the Christian faith.

If the official position of the University of Houston is that Bible-believing Christians are bigots because of their biblical stand on what the Bible teaches on homosexuality they need to make that clear … Be honest! Is the university really a diverse campus or does it really favor the LGBT community?

The truth is we have had major problems with the University of Houston for preaching the Gospel in free speech zones. For sharing the faith, passing out Gospel tracts and using our “Warning Sign” that we use at many events. Our “Warning Sign” is used as a tool to show folks that they have sinned and that they need a savior! The LGBT community makes no small stir when we are on the campus and they always try to get us thrown off the campus … Are we still in America? Should the Bible-believing Christian be able to share the faith on public property that is supported by our tax dollars?

If the U of H is going to favor the LGBT community and call all of the Bible-believing pastors in the great state of Texas bigots, then they need to make that clear! The Texas pastors need to know the truth … Your official stance … I attend several churches in the greater Houston area. Friends that preach with me do too … Pastors need to be able to “warn” their folks of your anti-Christian beliefs! I’m (an) active Christian street preacher that has favor with many Texas churches.

David Stokes is an evangelist preacher of Bulldog Ministries.

• ” Are we still in America? Should the Bible-believing Christian be able
    to share the faith on public property that is supported by our tax
    dollars?”
    -We are still in America…which is probably why a STUDENTS (not the University, though they very well could too) are allowed to share THEIR opinion in the newspaper. Free speech goes both ways buddy.

dollars?”

Tax dollars not paid by churches.

• No, he was at UofH as “Bulldog Ministries,” which isn’t a church, but an evangelistic ministry that he founded and runs. So, when he buys anything in Texas, the taxes he pays help fund UofH, right? But even if we were from out of state, his right to free speech at UofH is guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution, as is yours.

• Why in the name of anything are we giving them any sort of attention? They’re like wasps. Leave them alone and they’ll go away.

• ” I attend several churches in the greater Houston area. Friends that
    preach with me do too … Pastors need to be able to ”warn” their folks of
    your anti-Christian beliefs! I’m (an) active Christian street preacher
    that has favor with many Texas churches.”

I have a feeling that these ” pastors” wouldn’t touch this group with a 10 foot pole.

• You’re right. Some wouldn’t. But some would. They are grateful that there are some bold Christians left in this world. Meanwhile, I’ll have to hand it to the “tolerance” and “political-correctness” crowd: You have effectively silenced the majority in the churches. That’s why you can’t handle the fact that you can’t silence everybody, albeit a minority. You resort to name calling (Westboro Baptist, homophobes, etc.), as if we haven’t heard it all before. As the old childhood saying goes, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.”