Golf

Ross earns first American weekly award

Senior James Ross is one of the best golfers on the team. He has nationally ranked and has led a well decorated program that dates back to the 1950s.  |  File photo/The Daily Cougar

Although rain shortened the Reunion Intercollegiate to 36 holes during two days, senior James Ross fired back-to-back, even-par 72 on the 7,305-yard course at Reunion Golf and Country Club in Madison, Miss., to equal his best finish as a Cougar and was honored Wednesday as the American Athletic Conference Golfer of the Week.

It is the first weekly award for Ross during his career. However, he became the second Cougar to win the program’s third award after junior Roman Robledo collected similar honors earlier this season.

“I just think I’m starting to … come to course with a better attitude. If you try too hard, you can guarantee that it won’t happen,” Ross said. “It’s more my approach than actual physical.”

Ross ranks second among the Cougars with a 72.04 scoring average and stands third on the team with 14 rounds of par or better. He has posted six top-10 finishes this year and was ranked at No. 9 for Team Europe in the April 2 Palmer Cup rankings.

“It’s just been constant improvement — total improvement from the moment that he got here,” Dismuke said. “I’m really proud of him and how his game has developed. He’s reaped the rewards of success lately.”