Men's Basketball

Thomas, House granted conditional release

Junior forward TaShawn Thomas, the Cougars' leading scorer from last season, will transfer. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

The 6-foot-8 Thomas is a junior who led the team in scoring (15.4 points per game) and rebounding (8.1), while House is a 6-7 sophomore who averaged 13.6 points and 5.3 boards this past season.

UH’s public clash over two star basketball players’ transfer requests has come to a close.

The Cougars’ two leading scorers, forwards TaShawn Thomas and Danuel House were granted conditional releases to transfer, according to The Houston Chronicle.  Both were previously denied transfer requests on April 4 before separate hearings with a special committee overturned the earlier ruling on Friday.

“As part of the releases’ stipulations, the players will not be allowed to transfer to another school in the American Athletic Conference – including those that plan to leave or join within the next two years – nor to another school in the state of Texas or any opponent on the Cougars’ schedule during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons,” according to the Chronicle.

If a petition to the NCAA to play immediately is not granted, Thomas and House will need to sit out next season. Thomas has one year while House has two seasons of eligibility left.

Instead of a lineup that includes the 6-foot-8 Thomas is a junior who who averaged 15.4 points per game and led the team in rebounding (8.1) and House who averaged 13.6 points and 5.3 boards, the Cougars will have to replace a large chunk of their scoring and leadership from last season.