Golf

Hill among nation’s best coaches for second straight season

Assistant coach Chris Hill (left) is a finalist for the Jan Strickland Award for the second consecutive season. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

Men’s golf associate head coach Chris Hill was named one of three finalists for the 2014 Jan Strickland Award presented by TaylorMade-Adidas Golf as selected by the Golf Coaches Association of America.

It marked the second straight season that Hill was recognized as one of the nation’s top assistant coaches. Hill was honored as one of eight semifinalists a season ago. The Strickland Award is presented to the NCAA Division I, II, III, NAIA or NJCAA assistant coach who has excelled in working with his student athletes both on the course and in the classroom.

Hill was joined by Northwestern’s David Inglis and Blake Smart of Oklahoma. The Strickland Award recipient will enjoy the opportunity to further his professional development by receiving an invitation to the TaylorMade-Adidas Golf Kingdom in Carlsbad, Calif.

The Cougars have had success this season under Director of Golf Jonathan Dismuke’s and Hill’s watch. UH has been ranked among the top 10 national leaders in several posts.

The Cougars have posted four team championships this season, including three straight to open the spring campaign. Juniors Kyle Pilgrim and Roman Robledo have won a combined four individual titles.

Robledo was ranked among the nation’s top 10 collegiate players earlier this season, and senior James Ross recently was selected to compete for Team Europe during the Palmer Cup in late June.