Special Section Spring Finals Edition

Stress Free Finals Week helps Cougars take the edge off

Finals week is near, and for many students, that means exams, essays, presentations and final projects. The University is offering an array of activities during Stress Free Finals Week to help those students in dire need of a break.

“I’m going to the premiere of ‘Neighbors’ on Monday,” said broadcast journalism sophomore Rae Tolbert. Tolbert said she loves that the University has Stress Free Finals Week, because, so far, it has helped her and her roommate stay calm about their upcoming exams.

“When we get back to our room, we are more relaxed. We’re not as stressed about it,” Tolbert said.

The Student Program Board will present “Neighbors” at the University Center Theater at 7 p.m. “Neighbors” stars Zac Efron and Seth Rogen and premieres in theaters May 9.

Paws and Relax — an event in which cuddling with dogs is encouraged — will take place at the M.D. Anderson Memorial Library today and Wednesday between 7 and 9 p.m. and on Tuesday between 8 and 10 p.m. Psychology sophomore Katherine Ranton said the best way for her to relax is by sitting down with a furry best friend.

“I am so excited about Paws and Relax,” Ranton said. “That is my favorite thing. I have dogs, so seeing dogs on campus is going to be so much more fun.”

The library will be open for 24 hours a day from today to May 8. Students with their Cougar Cards will be able to access the library all night and use the computers. Language and culture center student Arnold Endamne said he’s happy the library will be open throughout the night.

“Sometimes I want to work in the morning,” Endamne said. “But the library is closed at that time. I want to be able to come to the library at 1 a.m.”

Other activities the University will offer as a part of Stress Free Finals week are Dollar Cone Day today at the UC Satellite, Finals Mania on Tuesday, and a crawfish boil and pool party Wednesday.

Finals Mania features a wide selection of breakfast foods, including pancakes and turkey sausage, at 8:30 p.m. at the Rockwell Pavilion inside the M.D. Anderson Library.

The crawfish boil takes place at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center by the leisure pool at 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Environmental science senior Zoe Lipowski is a commuter and said she hasn’t been able to take advantage of the University’s Stress Free Finals Week. With four more finals to take, Lipowski said she is definitely feeling the pressure. She said there is only one sure way for her to feel less stressed.

“Netflix,” she said. “I watch episodes of ‘Parks and Recreation’ and ‘Veep.’”

Be sure to make use of the University’s Stress Free Finals Week from today through Wednesday.