Friday, September 21, 2018

Construction

$56 million student living community planned near campus

Aspen Heights, a private dorm building company, plans to build a $56 million student dorm complex north of I-45.

Like the new Vue apartments, this dorm building will also be an off -campus living community for college students. The private company has been building a chain of dorm complexes over the past few years. They have been building all types of dorms at different schools all over the country, but this is the first time that they will be building a dorm for a Houston university.

The complex will be a 4-story wrap style development with 305,076 square feet and 739 bedrooms. Aspen Heights plans to build on around 7.7 acres of land. The complex will also have a variety of different amenities available within the building and all of the suites.

“It seems like it will be very hospitable for students,” biology junior Bakari Samin said.

The complex will house one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and four-bedroom apartment suites. The prices are not set yet.

“I think this will definitely let everyone know who has money or who doesn’t,”communications senior Denisse Hidalgo said. “Social status  it’s gonna be a big thing I guess.”

To help fund the project, Aspen Heights is seeking a 10-year tax abatement from the city of Houston. They are already receiving a 9-year tax abatement, due to being located in an area of high poverty.

The complex will be located on Cullen Boulevard and just north of I-45. It will be a quarter of a mile from UH and students will have access to the future metro rail on Cullen.

“If I had a choice, I’d rather live on campus, so I don’t have a great deal of distance to walk, however, the fact that this new complex will has access to the metro rail is great,” said art junior Aliyah Zaidi.

The building will take up a large part of the land on Cullen and be the second off-campus living community at UH. This complex will help with providing more living options for UH students.

“I think these apartments are a good idea because they will create places for students to live and this will allow more students to get their education,” said broadcast journalism senior Benjamin Grice.

The complex is scheduled to be completed Fall 2015.

Tags: , , ,

How do you feel about Jeremih's cancelled concert at Frontier Fiesta?