Body found at stadium construction site

Authorities report that the body was found below the stadium's scoreboard.  Cara Smith/The Daily Cougar

UH police report that the body was found near the stadium’s scoreboard, and that the student fell roughly 60 feet. | Cara Smith/The Daily Cougar

Update on June 12 at 6:27 p.m.: The location of the vigil has changed. The vigil will be held in the University Center and will start at 7 p.m. on Friday, June 13.

Update on June 11 at 1:24 p.m.: The identity of the student has been released. A candlelight vigil will be held at sunset on June 13 at the site of the new football stadium. More information on this event can be found here.

Update at 4:39 p.m.: Stadium construction resumed earlier this afternoon.

Update at 4:17 p.m.: Authorities confirm that the person found at the stadium is female. KHOU-11 reports the female was a student at UH, though her identity has not been released.

UH police report that the body was found near the stadium’s scoreboard, and the female fell roughly 60 feet.

3:02 p.m. A body was discovered at the site of the new football stadium, according to UH police.

The discovery was made at 7:30 a.m. on Monday, June 9 by a stadium construction worker. UH police are still investigating the cause of death.

“All indications are that this was a suicide,” a university spokesman said, according to the Houston Chronicle.

The identity of the body has not been released. It is not known if the person was a UH student.

UH Executive Director of Media Relations Richard Bonnin said construction at 3875 Holman, the southwestern most area of the stadium and where the body was located, has been halted due to the ongoing investigation.

Construction at this corner of the stadium will not continue until the case is closed.