Greek Life Life + Arts

Fraternity recruitment schedules aim to change stereotypes

10476065_10152358169739652_3894029241959931144_o

Sigma Alpha Epsilon invited potential new members and UH students in general to join them at Top Golf July 10. Courtesy of

“National Lampoon’s Animal House” comes to mind when thinking of fraternities with wild parties, alcohol and general mayhem. However, UH fraternities are looking for ways to get rid of that stereotypical image and replace it with something a bit more gentlemanly.

The fraternities at UH are holding several events during the summer to recruit new members. Freshman as well as upperclassman are encouraged to attend these summer rush events in order to make their introduction to Greek life easier.

“We want everyone to have fun at the events and show them something about the great city of Houston that they might have overlooked,” said computer engineering junior and Sigma Alpha Epsilon member Minh Chau Ha.

Recruitment, or rush, for many fraternities started in early July with socials that are meant for potential recruits to become acclimated to campus and get an opportunity to interact with the brothers.

“We start our recruitment as soon as summer begins,” said Peter Crews, an accounting and finance senior and Pi Kappa Phi Vice President. “We want to maximize the amount of potential members we meet and maximize our amount of time to get to know these potential members.”

frat recruitment pikapp game

Many recruitment events held in May centered around UH campus activities. Pi Kappa Phi attended a basketball game with potential new members. | Courtesy of Peter Crews

Some events that have been held include nights playing at Top Golf and barbecues, as well as socials at varying fraternity houses in Bayou Oaks. The fraternities plan their own events, which are regulated by guidelines set by UH and the fraternity’s national chapter.

“I love meeting and interacting with our potential new members,” Ha said. “Because a very broad range of gentlemen are interested in our fraternity, we make sure to have different types of events from a physical day in the sun like canoe races to a nice and relaxing indoor social.”

No matter what incoming fraternity recruits may be interested in, members are trying to change outsider’s opinions about the organizations.

“These guys come to our events with the preconceived idea of what a ‘frat’ is,” Ha said. “We’re here to show them we are a fraternity — a genuine brotherhood — not a bunch of dude-bros that only care about partying.”