Uncategorized

Dove love has arrived in Sigma Kappa

Sigma Kappa staff

Sigma Kappa nationals sent a colonization team to UH in order to establish its newest chapter. This team will also help recruit for the sorority and guide the new chapter as it grows. | Courtesy of Sigma Kappa

The arrival of Sigma Kappa to UH marks the first new sorority in 58 years. A number of sororities applied to become part of UH, and the current UH Greek life voted on Sigma Kappa after seeing their presentation.

“We feel honored to have this opportunity and look forward to getting to know members of the fraternity/sorority community and joining this outstanding campus,” Sigma Kappa Director of Extension Melinda Mettler said.

Recruitment Counselor Andrea Solorzano said she is ecstatic.

“Having a new sorority colonizing on campus is exciting because this is the first one to do so since 1956.” Solorzano said. “This is such a great time to go through recruitment since Sigma Kappa is offering leadership opportunities to women who want to grow the chapter. More girls will want to rush, which will help the entire community grow even more. Also, I cannot wait to see them adopting our UH traditions, such as Homecoming and Frontier Fiesta.”

Solorzano said Sigma Kappa is a breath of fresh air, inspiring a renewed passion in the established sororities.

“I believe that bringing new sororities (to) campus is a good opportunity to increase the University’s diversity and allows the (Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life) community to grow stronger,” said education senior Ariana Cruz.

Not everyone is happy to have a new sorority on campus. According to Solorzano, a few people in Bayou Oaks are nervous about what might happen with the increase in competition for new members.

Like other Panhellenic organizations, Sigma Kappa has a long history. It was founded in 1874 by five women. Today, it has 113 collegiate chapters and more than 152,000 members worldwide.

The sorority wants to provide women with lifelong opportunities and support for social, intellectual and spiritual development by bringing women together to positively impact communities. Its values are personal growth, friendship, service and loyalty, Mettler said.

“We are looking for women that will uphold our values and help us make our mark at the University of Houston,” Mettler said.

Sigma Kappa will recruit freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors. Any woman that is not a member of a National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) sorority is eligible for membership in Sigma Kappa, and can apply at www.lovesigmakappa.com.

In a few weeks, a Sigma Kappa leadership consultant will introduce the sorority to the UH community. She will table in the University Center and host informative events.

Mettler said two information nights on Sept. 18 and Sept. 24 will provide more details about Sigma Kappa for anyone that is interested.

Sigma Kappa will host official recruitment events Oct. 1-7 . The events are:

•   Monday, Oct. 1: Philanthropy Night

•   Tuesday, Oct. 2 and Wednesday, Oct. 3: Personal Visits

•   Friday, Oct. 5: Sisterhood Night

•   Saturday, Oct. 6: Preference (invitation only)

•   Sunday, Oct. 7: Bid Day (invitation only)

These events will take place after regular sorority recruitment dates.

An RSVP is not required for any of the events. Additional event details are available on www.lovesigmakappa.com under “What to Expect.”

One requirement for membership in Sigma Kappa is a Personal Visit. This 20 minute one-on-one meeting with a member of the Sigma Kappa team will allow potential members to learn more about the organization, the time and financial commitments and an opportunity to ask questions. Anyone interested can sign-up for a Personal Visit on the sorority’s website. Sign-ups became available Aug. 15.