Looking to a new year with the Opinion section

Editor’s note: Hello, fellow Cougars. My name is Kelly Schafler, and I’m the new opinion editor of The Cougar. You might have seen me around campus, in the newsroom or residing behind the counter of the UC Starbucks, my other job. This illustration by the talented Alex Tomic was created for my section’s cover photo in this semester’s Back-to-School Edition because it is a depiction of some of the various viewpoints one might see featured in the Opinion section. As the new editor, my goal is to bring as much life and differing opinions to this section for the duration of the 2014-2015 school term as possible.

Moving from four print editions per week as The Daily Cougar to one print edition per week as The Cougar will be an interesting and exciting transition. The Cougar is always evolving and looking to add new additions (and editions), so if you are interested in becoming part of the newspaper, you can apply online by logging into Get Involved via AccessUH and searching ‘The Daily Cougar’. If you are uninterested in joining the team but wish to share your unique opinions, feel free to leave a comment on any article that covers a topic that interests you or gets your blood boiling.

opinions cover

Illustration by Alex Tomic

Opinion editor Kelly Schafler is a print journalism junior and may be reached at [email protected].