With experienced offense, Cougars look to repeat history

IMG_9746FEATURE

With 94 percent of its players returning, the Cougars’ offense looks to be the strongest the team has seen in years. | File Photo/The Cougar

The Cougars’ offense has historically put lofty numbers on the scoreboard, but sophomore quarterback John O’Korn said he wants to take it further.

“You should expect us to be a lot more dynamic this year, do a lot more offensively, see a lot more guys getting their hands on the ball and be a lot more up tempo,” O’Korn said. “Last year we went pretty fast, (but) we’re going to take it to another level.”

The unit returns 94 percent of its total offense when it faces UTSA on Friday night, including Deontay Greenberry, last season’s American Athletic Conference leading receiver (1202 yards, 11 touchdowns).

In last season’s matchup, O’Korn threw for 312 yards and four touchdowns, while Greenberry hauled in nine catches for 142 yards in a 59-28 win.

Daniel Spencer (768 yards, six touchdowns) will accompany Greenberry on the inside, with Markeith Ambles and Greg Ward on the outside. 

Ward played sparingly at quarterback in the past but will now primarily be at receiver.

“It started building its way through last season,” said head coach Tony Levine. “(He and John) split time, and then John emerged as a guy that can do so much. Greg was just too talented to be backup, so we started to filter him in at receiver. When we went to spring, we realized he needs to be on the field at all times.”

UH is loaded on offense, and offensive coordinator Travis Bush, who led the Cougars to the 15th ranked offense in the nation in 2012, said the biggest challenge will be distributing the ball evenly to his playmakers.

“The hardest part right now is trying to find a way to get everyone the football and keep them all happy,” Bush said. “We feel good about putting the ball in the hands of all four starting wideouts. It’s not a bad problem to have, but we are excited to get out there and find ways to get these guys the football.”

• With Greenberry and Spencer attracting most of the defensive attention, look for Ambles and Ward to make some key receptions.