City News

New legislation regarding tuition affects student veterans

The new Texas Senate Bill 1158 — dealing with tuition exemption eligibility changes to the Hazelwood Act — affects the approximate 872 veterans enrolled at UH this fall semester.

Bill 1158 serves to disambiguate text that previously could have been misinterpreted.

“It’s a positive change. It takes away the vagueness,” sophomore Marine veteran Natalie Avina said. “It’s easier for people to read it on paper.”

A permanent fund has been allocated for supporting military and veterans exemptions outside of the general revenue fund. Texas Treasury Safekeeping Trust Company will administer the fund. According to the bill, money not used by veterans can be used to offset the cost of higher education for their children.

Oversight of the program has been transferred from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to the Texas Veterans Commission.

“They have statistical data based on the number of veterans that we serve throughout the state and the work force,” said Veterans Services Program Coordinator Lawren Bradberry. “They can more aptly follow the trend of what the needs of veteran students are versus The Education Board.”

“The transfer of power into the hands of veterans will allow them to provide for others whose needs are similar to their own,” Avina said. “It’s creating a lot more resources for veterans to use while they’re at college.”

The change that current and prospective veteran students are most likely to notice is the creation of Veteran Excellence Recognition Award for higher education institutions.  The criteria include admission policy specific to veterans, student organizations, academic support services, mental health and disability services and a housing policy for veterans, among other things.

“These are going to be tangible, measurable, benchmark-type-thing with statistical data and student testimonials to back it up,” said Bradberry.

UH already provides for its veteran students through Veteran Services and other organizations including Learning and Support, Center for Students with Disabilities, and LGBT resources.

“We always look at the year before, and we try to make it better,” Bradberry said. “We’re always striving to make improvements and better the college experience of veterans.”