Soccer

Mirror image for Cougars from weekend play

In two games, the Cougars yielded the same result against two very different teams. UH had a bit of a rough weekend as they settled for a tie both Friday night and Sunday afternoon.

Lexa Green

Junior midfielder Lexa Green proved a pivotal part of the weekend’s two games as she scored the team’s only two goals. Green is now tied with senior Kayla Walker for team leader in goals scored. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Game 1: HBU

After two periods of overtime, the Cougars ended in a 1-1 tie against Houston Baptist University on Friday, Sept. 12.

The game didn’t see its first goal until the 71st minute when junior midfielder Lexa Green scored off a UH free kick at midfield. Junior defender Meghan Brasica picked up the assist on Green’s first goal of the season.

With such a small lead, the Cougars kept an eye on the clock as they couldn’t extend their cushion. Unfortunately, as the game entered the 81st minute, HBU scored the equalizer goal off of a corner kick.

The tie wasn’t the Cougars’ strongest display as the team only had three out of nine shots on target in the entire first half and the game’s foul total reached 30.

However, junior goalkeeper Jordan Brown kept the game in perspective with a strong five saves.

Head coach Chris Pfau saw promise from the game, despite the ending result.

“This is a game that with 10 minutes left, and a 1-0 lead, we let slip away,” said Pfau in a press release. “It was a good learning lesson and something that we need to continue to work on, and I hope that someone steps up and takes charge as we go into conference.”

Game 2: Utah State

The Cougars fought hard for another tie Sunday afternoon as they faced off against Utah State.

For the second time, Green scored the Cougars’ only goal of the game as she played the assist from freshman Georgi Dolence early in the first half.

With the early lead, the Cougars were confident in their chances going into the rest of the game. Once again, however, the game was taken from them in the 50th minute.

As the game was tied 1-1, neither team could put together enough momentum on offense to score another goal in regular time.

Once again, the Cougars saw themselves enter into and play through two periods of extra time to emerge scoreless. Surprisingly in a game with 29 total shots, the extra time only yielded one total shot on goal.

“I have never been more proud of a team than today for so many reasons,” said Pfau in a press release on Sunday afternoon’s game. “For us to give up a goal, and not put our heads down, and lose the game showed a lot of character.”