UH students, staff have a conversation with UHPD

__coffeecup-2

Sgt. Dina Padovan answers UH students questions at Coffee with a Cop.  |  Sara Samora / The Cougar

The University of Houston Police Department held its first Coffee with a Cop event at the University Center lobby on Wednesday, Sept. 17. UHPD Crime Prevention Coordinator Sgt. Dina Padovan organized the event.

The purpose, Padovan said, was to reach out to the UH community.

“It opens up the conversation, so if someone has a question — and they always felt maybe intimidated to come over and ask us, or the only time people do see us is because they called us for any type of reason — this gives them an option to come over and talk with us,” Padovan said. “That way we can be a part of their community.”

In addition, this allows people to visit them without agendas.

One student asked Padovan what to do during a traffic stop.

“I explained to (the student) that when you are pulled over, make sure you pull over to a safe area and a safe location and then turn your vehicle off,” Padovan said.

Center for Diversity and Inclusion Director Niya Blair spoke to the officers about upcoming initiatives, and how the CDI could be of help.

“I’ll be meeting with (Capt. Daryl Bissett) soon,” Blair said. “So it was a great meeting.”

Blair also said the coffee program is a great idea.

“I really think other schools should do it,” Blair said. “I think it’s a great opportunity for our students and for our staff and administrators to be able to get to know the men and women who not only protect us but help us.”

Coffee with a Cop has taken place in 175 cities across the nation. It is scheduled for Oct. 15, Nov. 12, and Dec. 10.  For more information, call (713) 743-0596.