Former mayor Bill White speaks on debt crisis

PRINT-Samantha-Villareal-IMG_9726

Former mayor Bill White spoke to UH students about the American debt crisis.  |  Samantha Villareal / The Cougar

It’s been four years since former Houston mayor Bill White held a position in public office, but he has kept busy. After an unsuccessful gubernatorial bid in 2010, White has worked as a senior adviser at Lazard, a financial and advisory firm, and advocated for fiscal reform. White’s recent book, “America’s Fiscal Constitution,” discusses the historical context of America’s current debt crisis and how the founding fathers tried to prevent it. White came to UH Tuesday, Sept. 16 to discuss his book and answer questions about the issue.

“Today, something a little unusual is happening,” White said in his speech. “Even with record debt, we are continuing to borrow for routine expenses. For most of American history folks understood that was not a good idea, and politicians managed to balance the budget and still get re-elected. This book tells a story about how they did that.”

White’s visit was part of the BB&T Speaker Series, a marriage of the Hobby Center for Public Policy and the Honors College Phronesis program. Lectures are free, as the program is funded through a $1 million grant from BB&T bank. The bank gives $100 thousand a year for ten years, a donation that assistant professor and Phronesis faculty member Jeffrey Church calls a “real boon” to UH students.

“(It’s) important to get students in touch with important movers and shakers — not just in the world, but in the Houston community. Get students connected to the city around them,” Church said.

Audience turnout was slim, with roughly 40 students and a few older community members in the spacious UC Theater. Church attributed this to lack of publicity, poor timing — the lecture was held at 5 p.m. — and the poor weather.  Still, reactions were overall positive, mixed with a bit of confusion at White’s focus on the historical backing of the current debt crisis, rather than current issues.

“I just came out of pure curiosity…I thought (the speech) was very informative. I learned a lot of stuff that I normally wouldn’t hear, going through my day,” said undeclared sophomore Joshua Lee.

The next speaker in the series is Sister Helen Prejean, who will talk the death penalty and prison reform 4 p.m. Oct. 6 in the Honors Commons.