Events

Game night gets students pumped

Students decide to play chess among the board games available. Photo by Jassiel Lozano/ The Cougar

Loud music. Big screen. Fighting. Demonic game board. Glowing football. Sounds like an interesting night and maybe even a fun time, depending on the person. These were the highlights of Saturday night, when the Student Program Board hosted ‘Game Night’ at Lynn Eusan Park.

“This is the first time we are trying this,” SPB Nights and Weekends chair Taylor Rouleau said. “I think it is an OK turnout for a Saturday and given the weather conditions.”

At the beginning of the event, SPB had its massive, inflatable television where people were playing the fighting game “Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom” on the PlayStation 4. When it began to rain, the television was taken down.

Students played “Madden 15” on television sets on the stage, with two set-ups accommodating more players.

In front of the stage a few students were throwing a glow-in-the-dark football. The light drizzle didn’t keep the 23 attending students from having a good time.

“(Unlike) most events where there are rowdy and large crowds of people, this is just nice,” said hotel and restaurant management freshman Tamar Carter concerning the amount of students present.

Most of the students gathered on the stage, where “Clue,” “Battleship,” chess and the Ouija board were being played. The Ouija board is part of a campaign promoting the upcoming film “Annabelle.” Free tickets for a showing at the Edwards Houston Marq’E were given out.

“It is pretty fun,” said biochemistry freshman Bryan Pham. “I got to play a lot games with my friends.”

Pham said he heard about the event through posters around campus, social media and word of mouth.

“Let the books go and relax,” said civil engineering sophomore and SPB volunteer Elvis Alvarez.

Rouleau invited students to the next game night.

“It is fun, there will be giveaways and it beats being stuck in a dorm room.”