Tennis

Lorenzo wins second consecutive tournament at Rice

SONY DSC

After last week and this weekend, Lorenzo becomes the only Cougar to consecutively win their first two collegiate tournaments. | Valli Challa/The Cougar

The third weekend-long tournament of the fall started Friday across town as four Cougars took part in the Rice Invitational.

Freshman Angela Lorenzo led the team through the tournament, as strong play was seen throughout.

The first day of the Rice Invitational saw the Cougars go 5-0.

In singles play, Maria Cardenas handed Louisiana Tech a loss in the Blue draw by winning 6-0 and 6-3. The win moved her into a long quarterfinals match where she had to break several times to take the lead. Cardenas picked up another victory against UT-Arlington with a 3-6, 6-2 and 10-5 match.

Angela Lorenzo, the Solinco Houston Open Champion, mirrored Cardenas’ score when she earned a bye into the quarterfinals. After making it though the long 3-6, 6-2 and10-8 match, Lorenzo secured her spot in the semifinals for Saturday.

Also within day one, Charlotte Phillips started her tournament play strong when she won two matches. Phillips dismissed SMU with a 6-0 and 6-4 match, as well as UT-Arlington with a 6-3 and 6-2 match on Friday with ease.

Phillips’ weekend got better on Saturday when she produced her second win against Rice in the last two weekends as she took out Rice’s Solo Zinko 6-2 and 6-3.

On Saturday, Lorenzo shined as the star of the match when she won 6-1 and 6-0 to achieve her second consecutive tournament championship this fall season. Lorenzo has now won both of her first two collegiate tournaments.

The Cougars are only content with winning as their record reached 9-1 on Saturday. The only loss they saw was in the doubles semifinal against Rice. However, UH’s Cardenas and Lorenzo pair did not simply roll over and give up the win. Both schools battled until the end where Rice’s Durkin and Nguyen had the upper hand within two match points, winning 8-7.

On Sunday, the Lorenzo and Cardenas pair played for third place in doubles. Cardenas also saw her doubles rival Durkin in the final for the Blue singles draw.

Sunday came to a close with Cardenas’ close second place finish. Cardenas narrowly lost to Durkin in the finals 6-3, 1-6 and 10-7.

Lorenzo and Phillips finshed their respective matches of the tournament with flawless 8-0 records, while the Cougars went 13-3 overall.

Lorenzo’s final win of the tournament against Rice’s Zinko will also go down as the final victory in Jake Hess Tennis Stadium, as Rice plans to open a new tennis facility in October.

The Cougars take this weekend off to prepare for the Schlief Invitational Nacogdoches on Oct. 11.