Events Life + Arts

CoogRadio celebrates fifth birthday

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_0663

Only Beast was one of the bands headlining at CoogRadio’s Birthday Bash.  |  Justin Tijerina/ The Cougar

“Everybody has a place on CoogRadio,” said freshman radio DJ Garrett Moore.

The station has come a long way from the days of concerns about being shut down that plagued its early years.

Now bands such as Only Beast, Young Mammals, Craig Kinsey and Southern Backtones are happy to headline for Coog Radio events such as its fifth year anniversary party which was held on Oct. 3 in Lynn Eusan Park.

The CoogRadio Birthday Bash was replete with free shirts and free food. Political science senior Geof Ellias was one of the attendees who often listens to Coog Radio. Elias said having an on-campus radio station was a great idea, and that he takes pride in Coog Radio.

Moore expressed the same pride.

“We want to be the best college station in the country. The station is not just for communication majors; music and radio is entertainment,” Moore said.

As one of the DJs at CoogRadio, Moore wants the station to accommodate even more of the varied tastes on campus.

The already wide diversity of CoogRadio was apparent at the Birthday Bash, with the live acts ranging from punk (Only Beast) and alternative rock (Young Mammals) to classic rock (Southern Backtones).

Coog Radio supporters like Eaglin and Moore want it to be known that the future is bright for the station.