City Fine Arts Life + Arts

Wings of the City alight in Discovery Green

One of the nine statues featured at Jorge Malin’s Wings of the City exhibit in Discovery Green. | Henry Sturm/ The Cougar

People are talking, some with passion and some with passing curiosity. Either way, Jorge Marín’s Wings of the City sculpture exhibit is not being ignored.

The exhibit will be displayed at Discovery Green until Feb. 8. Previously, Marin’s work was displayed in Mexico City and Brownsville, Texas.

These bronze, winged sculptures are migrating out of their home country and into the unknown. Fortunately for Marín’s, his art connects with people from all walks of life.

The exhibit’s description says, “It represents the possibility of flying with the body and the mind through desire, will and determination. It implies going beyond one’s physical capabilities and invites us to transcend our limits.”

“(The sculptures show that) there’s real art around besides that bullshit (when) people throw paint on canvas and call it art. These statues are art,” said Jerry Hutton, a sixty-year-old native of the Rice Military neighborhood.

Around Discovery Green, there are comments about the inappropriate nature of the art. People are perturbed that one of the pieces displays a naked male.

“That really bothers me when the anatomy of a human being is a problem,” said Kaaren Scoggins, from West Houston. “I don’t think it’s appropriate to change art because somebody has a sensibility to the naked body.”

It doesn’t seem like there will be change. Crowds of people have flocked to Discovery Green and as they roam about, they consistently pass the nine sculptures that dot the park.

“I don’t see anybody complaining,” said Edward John Narrow Jr., who said he is new to the Downtown area. Narrow’s observations seem accurate; there are smiles abound throughout the park.

Marín’s art fits in so well that people are not even aware of its temporary nature. When they are aware, they aren’t pleased to hear the news.

“Why don’t they leave (the sculptures here)? I know Houston could use a little bit of culture,” Scoggins said.

An earlier version of this story named Jorge Malin when it actually is Jorge Marín.