As flu season rolls around, UH prepares to combat the virus

Every year during the months of October through May, there are numerous ads and signs urging Americans to get their flu shot. Influenza is a virus so contagious that another name would seem far less fitting.

According to the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, around 40 percent of adults get their flu shot each year. It seems that the decision on whether to get the flu shot is just as divided in the student population as it is in the general population.

While the flu spreads the easiest to children, adults are still urged to get their flu shot every year.

“I try to stay up to date with vitamin C and everything to prevent me from getting the flu,” said Stevanna Daniel, psychology senior at UH-Downtown.

Vanessa Tilney, a physician at the UH Health center, said that a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle may help boost the immune system, but a healthy immune system alone will not prevent the illness.

“Getting vaccinated can help keep someone from getting sick with the flu and being vaccinated can help protect those around that person from getting sick,” Tilney said.

Tilney adds that getting the vaccine can help students avoid missing days of class and studying that would be lost if they get the flu.

The most common side effects include soreness at the site of the injection; mild side effects may include a cough, fever, or other flu-related symptoms.

UH provides multiple resources and information for the flu shot as well as opportunities to get them here on campus.

“Come by the UH Health Center if you have any further questions and/or wish to get the flu vaccine. The time is now,” said Tilney.

The University Health Center is offering flu shots for all students for $25 or at no cost for those with Student Health Insurance.

Students can come to the Health Center during Family Weekend on October 17, where the flu shots will be free for the first 100 students, and $15 for family members.