Tip Tuesday: 10 available student discounts (and more)
It’s hard enough to be a college student – here’s a list of places that offer student discounts to make the burden a little lighter:
1. Computers and Software
While the latest products can seem a bit pricey, Apple offers students a 15 percent discount. By shopping the Apple Store for Education, you can also save up to $200 on a new Mac and up to $20 on a new iPad.
Microsoft offers students 10 percent discount on the Surface, Microsoft Office, tablets, computers, software and more. The student price for Office 365 University is $79.99.
Both students and teachers can get as much as 60 percent off popular design software programs.
2. Movie Theaters
If you can’t make it to the early bird viewing, AMC Theatres offers discounted movie tickets with a valid student ID Thursdays and Cinemark offers it on Tuesdays.
3. Museum of Fine Arts Houston
If you appreciate art and culture, come to the MFAH and give your eyes a treat with their numerous collections and changing installments. The normal adult general admission is $15. With student identification, admission is $7.50. On Thursdays it is free for everyone.
4. Six Flags
If you love roller coasters and water rides, join the Student Program Board on Nov. 1 on a trip to Six Flags. SPB is giving UH students a special discounted price: $25. Transportation to and from Six Flags is included. Tickets are a first-come, first-serve basis. Tickets can be purchased in UC Rm. 237. Last day to purchase tickets is Oct. 30. Email Tournaments Chair Emily at: [email protected]
5. Houston Ballet
Come appreciate the elegant art of ballet by attending performances like “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” or “From Houston to the World.” At select performances, the Houston Ballet offers college students $10 rush tickets in the 90 minutes prior to the start of the performance, depending on availability.
Premium normally costs $9.99 per month, but college students can create the perfect playlist with Spotify Premium at just $4.99 per month.
The next time you go out to eat and feel like your wallet may be feeling a little empty, just remember there are various locations to get student discounts.
- Chipotle and Chick-fil-A offer a free drink with purchase and a valid school ID.
- Arby’s, Buffalo Wild Wings, Waffle House, McDonald’s, Burger King and Dairy Queen offer a 10 percent discount.
- At participating Subway locations, you can get 10 percent off your meal.
- At select locations, Pizza Hut offers up to 20 percent off your next pizza.
- TCBY offers a 15 percent discount.
8. Book & Newspaper Discounts
- Barnes & Noble
Students can receive deals on textbook rentals with savings up to 50 percent. Check B&N’s site for more coupons.
- The New York Times
College students can save 50 percent off the regular rate.
- Wall Street Journal
Students get the rate of $1 per week.
9. Phone Services
If you’re a texting addict or love to talk on the phone, here is some good news; these phone services have a special discount for students:
- AT&T – With your student email, you can receive discounts on qualified wireless services, free shipping when you purchase online and access to exclusive offers, sales and package deals.
- T-Mobile – With your student email, discounts are offered every month on every line in addition to no annual service contract or overages while on the T-Mobile network and no activation fee, Early Termination Fees (ETF) reimbursed up to $650 with device trade-in, the ability to upgrade your phone whenever you want with the JUMP! Program, free shipping on new activations and a generous 30-day return policy.
- Verizon – Offers 25 percent off on wireless plans and accessories with a student email.
10. Clothing Stores
If you’re a fashionista and love shopping for the latest styles, there are a variety of apparel and retail stores to take advantage of.
- ASOS and Charlotte Russe both offer a 10 percent discount
- H&M, J. Crew, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, The Limited, Levi’s, Juicy Couture, Madewell and Vineyard Vines offer a 15 percent discount
- Kenneth Cole and Club Monaco offer 20 percent off all full priced and sale items, in store or online
- Langford Market offers a 25 percent discount
For more student discounts, check out www.giftcardgranny.com/blog/student-discounts/