Soccer

Final regular-season game isn’t the end for Cougars

Although the Houston soccer team’s season has been less than stellar, they hoped for redemption in a home win; however, they were unsuccessful and were shutout 2-0 to Tulsa in the final game of the regular season.

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_1621

The Cougars enter into the American Athletic Conference Championships this coming week as they will face the East Carolina Pirates for round one on Friday. With some rest, the team looks to come out strong.  |  Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

Prior to the game, the Cougars held “Senior Day” festivities, honoring seniors Alexis Weaver, McKhenzie Raines, Kayla Walker and Kelsey Zamora for their contributions to the team.

“I want to thank the seniors for everything they have done on and off the field,” said head coach Chris Pfau. “I know we are judged by wins and losses, but they can be proud of where our program is today. We have improved so much over the past year, and it has a lot to do with them.”

Each of Tulsa’s goals were tallied by freshman forward Christina Holmes — the first one scored 27 minutes into the game, with a second added 60 minutes later when Holmes was able to get off a shot after colliding with goalkeeper Jordan Brown. The Hurricanes were then able to control the remainder of the game with no response from the Cougars.

“I was proud of the team today,” Pfau said. “We were beat up, players injured and tired, but we fought and in the second half we threw everything at them, and you cannot ask for any more. Kaya Walker and Kelsey Zamora gave us a huge impact, and it was good to see them play at that level for their last regular game. ”

Although judged by wins and losses, it isn’t over for the Cougars just yet. They still have a chance to end the overall season on a slightly better note, as they will head to the American Athletic Conference Championship with a road trip to Memphis next weekend. The Cougars will face East Carolina at 1 p.m. on Friday, and the winner will advance to the quarterfinal round against host team Memphis, who the Cougars fell to 1-0 to earlier in the season.

The question is whether or not the Cougars can find that mentality and act on their threatening potential and take advantage of the opportunity.

“We now need to make sure we take care of ourselves, and get ready for start of conference tournament,” said Pfau. “As I told the team, (if) you keep fighting like this, who knows what can happen.”