Tennis

Cougars ready to host Jason’s Deli Invitational

Sophomore Despoina Vogasari looks to lead the team to success in this weekend’s Jason’s Deli Collegiate Invitational after landing a spot at the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships in New York.  |  Courtesy of UH Athletics

With recent success from sophomore Despoina Vogasari in the USTA/ITA Texas Regional Championships as she became the first Cougar to win the event, high expectations await the Houston tennis program this year, especially in this coming weekend’s Jason’s Deli Collegiate Invitational.

The Cougars are hosting teams from Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Lamar, Northwestern State, Oklahoma, Rice, Sam Houston State, SMU, Syracuse, TCU and Tyler Junior College, providing a strong challenge against the successful team.

The entire Cougar tennis team looks to compete in this weekend’s tournament, as opposed to the smaller groups that have participated in the team’s recent showings. Senior Elena Kordolaimi and junior Maria Cardenas look to lead the rest of the Cougars this weekend with the help of Vogasari, as they also had strong performances in the UTSA/ITA Texas Regional Championships.

This weekend will be a key factor in the success of Houston tennis this year, as the Jason’s Deli Collegiate Invitational will be the Cougars’ last showing before they begin to compete in individual competition with other schools across the country.