Cougars enter five-way tie for first in AAC

FarrowIMG_1386

Junior running back Kenneth Farrow was responsible for two of the Cougars’ four touchdowns in Saturday’s 27-3 win over the USF Bulls, putting him at six for the year. | File Photo/The Cougar

Sophomore quarterback Greg Ward Jr. now has three straight starts and three straight wins as the Cougars jump into a five-way tie for first place in the AAC with Saturday’s 27-3 win against the USF Bulls.

The first quarter started out slow as both team’s defenses came out strong to force multiple three-and-out runs, but things changed with just under ten minutes left. Due to a hands to the face penalty, a muffed punt snap turned into a first down for the Cougars, setting up the team for a seven minute drive ending in junior running back Kenneth Farrow’s fifth touchdown of the year.

After a scoreless second quarter, UH came out after the half ready to extend their lead. After five rushing plays in a row, Farrow set junior running back Ryan Jackson up on the one-yard line for the Cougars’ second touchdown of the game.

Houston started the fourth quarter with a 70-yard drive, allowing Ward to dish off the ball to Farrow for his second touchdown of the game and put the Cougars up 21-3 as junior kicker Kyle Bullard missed the extra point.

Later in the quarter, Jackson picked up his second touchdown of the game after a 24-yard rush, making both running backs responsible for all four Houston touchdowns.

Houston’s 30-game turnover streak was in jeopardy as the game had entered its final three minutes without a forced turnover, but junior safety Adrian McDonald bumped the streak to 31 as he dove to make an interception in the end zone.

In addition to a five-way tie for first place in the AAC, Houston is tied for most consecutive games with a forced turnover with Ole Miss. The Cougars look to step ahead in both categories with their Homecoming game against Tulane next Saturday.

• Glad for the lopsided win, but, come on, USF is no good. Our next opponent is no good, so I expect another lopsided win, But, the play calling is still horrible.

Deontay is 5 star and Greg threw for a slew of yards in high school, yet our OC calls passing plays which give Deontay one yard………….ONE yard!! You would think that with horrible opponents, you could “practice” passing plays………..brother.