Tennis

Vogasari named American Player of the Month, headed to New York

Freshman Despoina Vogasari went from playing for herself to cheering for teammates during her six months at UH. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Sophomore Despoina Vogasari is the only Cougar to win a USTA/ITA Texas Regional Championship and looks to be the first to bring home the title from the national stage.  |  File Photo/The Cougar

The American Athletic Conference announced today that Houston’s own Despoina Vogasari was the Player of the Month for October. The sophomore has now won the award in two consecutive months after her strong performances in September as well.

Vogasari is preparing for her trip to New York later this week to compete in the USTA/ITA National Intercollegiate Championships at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York, the same site as the US Open.

Vogasari earned her spot at the National Championships after entering and winning the USTA/ITA Texas Regional Championships in Waco as the seventh seed last month. The sophomore defeated three nationally-ranked opponents on her way to the top while not dropping a single set in six matches.

Vogasari now sits as the only Cougar to ever win a USTA/ITA Regional Championship as well as the only AAC women’s tennis player to take the tournament.