Activities & Organizations News

Hilton alumni series to kick off with Eric’s Club

While the classroom is a great place to learn about what your career may hold, being able to hear from highly successful alumni and learning about their career paths can prove to be invaluable to students. Students looking for this experience can look forward to the 27th Eric Hilton Distinguished Chair Alumni Lecture Series, kicking off this year in Alumni Hall room S104 from 10 to 11:15 a.m. on Nov. 6.

“[The purpose of the series is] giving back to their alma mater,” said Wendy Ballard, head of the alumni association for Hotel and Restaurant Management.

The series began in 1999 as a way to keep alumni who are successful connected with the college. The series is held in the fall and spring semester each year.

This year’s fall lecturer is Richard F. Weil, senior consultant for National Restaurant Consultants. Weil has been in the industry for six decades, and has been involved in the openings of over 275 restaurants. From successfully growing restaurant chains of 11 stores to 130 stores, to managing teams of over 750 employees that generated more than $2.2 billion in annual sales revenue, hugely successful members like Weil have a lot of wisdom to offer to current students of the Hilton College.

“The lecture provides a great opportunity for students to hear directly from an alum about their journey on how they got to where they are now,” Ballard said.

With members who are CFO’s, CEO’s, presidents, general managers and other high ranking positions in hospitality or other allied fields, the Eric Hilton Distinguished Alumni Club, also known as “Eric’s Club,” is full of highly successful alumni who are either decades into their careers or have retired. Many members have already lectured since the series began.

“The lecturer is chosen by the Eric’s Club Board members,” Ballard said. “They select a lecturer from the group current members who have not yet lectured.”

With such distinguished members, the series gives students a chance to interact with the members directly. Students who are serious about getting into the hospitality or related fields are encouraged to take advantage of the series.

“It is also a great opportunity for the students to network with the Eric’s Club group,” Ballard said. “The members are truly devoted alumni who want to give back and enjoy getting to know the students individually as they want to be of assistance for them on their journey.”