Tennis

Vogasari ends National Championships run

Sophomore Despoina Vogasari set up for day two of the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships Friday morning, but fell just short of victory against No. 43 Maegan Manasse of Cal in two 4-6 sets.

Vogasari entered the National Championships ranked No. 68 and defeated No. 15 Zoe Scandalis of USC Thursday morning, promising a big game from the Cougar on day two. Vogasari fell in possibly the tournament’s closest match after Manasse won two consecutive marathon rallies.

The defeat marks the complete finish of the Cougars fall season as it ended for all but Vogasari last weekend at the Jason’s Deli Collegiate Invitational. Vogasari brought a high point to the end of the season for the Cougars as the sophomore won Houston’s first ever USTA/ITA Texas Regional Championship, earned the title of American Athletic Conference Player of the Month and defeated five nationally ranked opponents in the well-played season.

Freshman Despoina Vogasari went from playing for herself to cheering for teammates during her six months at UH. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Sophomore Despoina Vogasari and the Cougars look to get back into action in Jan. 17 when they host the UTSA Roadrunners at the John E. Hoff Courts. | File Photo/The Cougar