Crime News Uncategorized

BREAKING: Body found at The Vue on MacGregor

The woman's body was found in an open construction site at The Vue, where the apartment's gym is scheduled to be built.  |  Cara Smith/The Cougar

The woman’s body was found in an open construction site at The Vue, where the apartment’s gym is scheduled to be built. | Cara Smith/The Cougar

A body was found at the entrance of the The Vue on MacGregor around 7 a.m. Tuesday morning.

The woman, whose identity has not been released, was found near the entrance of the apartment on the 4600 block of South MacGregor, according to ABC13. The body was found on the first floor in an area that is still under construction where apartment’s gym and workout center is expected to be.

“It’s terrifying waking up to a dead body outside your window,” said finance junior Kim Kattapong. Kattapong lives on the second floor of The Vue, in an apartment complex directly adjacent to the scene.

Calls to The Vue have not yet been returned.

This incident is under investigation. Once we have information on what occurred, we will share it with our residents,” was posted on The Vue’s official Facebook page.

“It’s really unsettling to know that security didn’t catch it before the construction crew,” said Alexa Barrett, 19, a student at UH and resident of The Vue.

Students were cleared from the first floor by the Houston Police Department. HPD declined to comment.

ABC13 reported that the woman was found wearing only socks and earrings, with her purse nearby, and that there were no signs of foul play.

• Yes the area is bad but if you are a student here you have to agree that the security is pretty terrible on this campus as well.

• Security is better on this campus than other houston universities. Check the stats before you make false assumptions.

• I understand that every university has crime but I think things like people getting robbed in parking lots happen too often for there not to be noticeable change. If there are a high number of robberies happening in parking lots why won’t they amp up the security in the lots, I think its that simple. Or am I missing something?

• unless it involves a fire alarm, then you’ll be waiting 30 minutes for a security guard to check a camera somewhere and see that your building hasn’t burned to the ground

• That’s a double standard: you live in the Third Ward.

Other Houston universities, or at least the greater majority of them, don’t require the security the University of Houston claims to profess (which they actually don’t).

• My condolences to the girl’s family, but did this article really say that this woman was found naked (“…found wearing only socks and earrings…”) and then “no signs of foul play”? How about, she’s dead and naked. That looks like foul play to me.

• If we understood who this person was and what happened, we might realize this has nothing to do with the university or the safety of the campus. Foul play happens everywhere. And I’ve never heard of anything like this happening around UH. I’ve been held up but any issues I’ve ever been involved with or heard of have been petty. This is shocking and unfortunate to say the least. But I think it’s irresponsible to suggest that campus security could’ve done anything to prevent this from happening… If anything the vue needs to do a better job at securing and monitoring their premises.

• You guys are clueless. Go look up some actual FACTS and you will find the crime rate is higher at both a&m and ut then it is on the UH campus. Heck the crime rates with their football teams is higher than what has happened on the UH campus over the past decade. There are actually some great neighborhoods around that side of the campus along the Bayou but this Houston where there are no zoning restrictions. The focus here should be this awful tragedy that may or may not have anything to do with a UH student. Those apartments are used by students but are on the other side of the bayou away from campus so our security does not have jurisdiction. As for campus security we cannot lock the entire campus down but there are 24 hr patrols including an actual police station located on the campus so it is definitely better than most.

• Used to play in Macgregor park as a child visiting my grandparents house in riverside. things have sure changed.