Monday, November 29, 2021

ISIS, military invasion to be discussed by Honors-hosted panel

A panel of UH scholars will be discussing the conflict in Iraq and the human violations occurring there on Nov. 14.

Panelists will discuss the military invasion of Iraq by the West, the current aggression of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria and the human rights violations that have been occurring in the area at 3 p.m. in the Honors College Commons. The panelists will include visiting mathematician and peace activist Mient Jan Faber, visiting post-doctoral scholar of political philosophy Johanna Luttrell, assistant professor of political science Cyrus Contractor and Arab Studies Director Emran El-Badawi.

“I really hope that the audience can leave the panel with a more robust understanding about these issues, like the conflict with ISIS and the human rights problems that are so present in our news today,” said chief Phronesis Fellow Sahar Tavakoli Sadoughi.

The event is being put together by the Phronesis program, which is an interdisciplinary minor offered by the Honors College. At the event, members of the audience will have a chance to learn more about the issues that are raging in the Middle East, according to members of the Phronesis program.

“It’s designed to get a variety of perspectives on our current engagement with Iraq from UH professors,” said Phronesis Director Tamler Sommers.

One UH student has already said she is looking forward to it.

“I know next to nothing about the event, and am hoping to learn more by attending,” said business sophomore Rebecca Deal.

Tags: ,

• COVID-19