City Life + Arts

Weekender guide: Nov. 14 to 16

Five things to do at UH this weekend:

Military Intervention and Human Rights in Iraq: A UH Perspective

If you have questions about ISIS or want to learn more about the situation, distinguished UH faculty will host a panel from 3 to 5 p.m. today in the Honors Commons. Stop by and become informed on the current international politics surrounding this conflict.
Price: Free

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Join Student Program Board today in the UC Theater for showings of the sequel to X-Men: First Class. There will be showings at 4 p.m., 7 p.m. and 10 p.m.
Price: Free

Game on, Cougars!

Play board games, card games, role-playing games, puzzles and video games and help raise awareness and donations for people who are unable to provide food for themselves from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday at the M.D. Anderson Rockwell Pavilion.
Price: Free

SPB Presents: Game Night

For students who missed any of the previous game nights or couldn’t make it to the library’s game night, SPB is hosting its third game night from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. Saturday at Lynn Eusan Park.
Price: Free

A.I. Lack Series Guest Master Class

The Moores School of Music annually hosts a series for distinguished classical performers and recognized pedagogues. William Preucil, a violin concertmaster from the Cleveland Orchestra, is one such guest that will be performing 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday in the Choral Recital Hall in the Moores School of Music.
Price: Free

Five Things to Do in Houston This Weekend:

Silent Film Composer Concert

Houston Public Media and Discovery Green have teamed up to provide Houstonians the chance to experience silent films with original scores from Texas musicians and composers performing live accompaniment. The concert is from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. today in Discovery Green.
Price: Free

The Ultimate Michael Jackson Experience

This production pays tribute to the music and dance of Michael Jackson and stars Joby Rogers, a world-famous Michael Jackson tribute artist. World-class dancers will join him on the stage to perform timeless songs from the pop icon. The event starts at 7:30 p.m. today at Miller Outdoor Theatre.
Price: Free

Discovery_Green_Park

The Discovery Green Flea also hosts a free bicycle repair workshop and Tianna Hall & The Houston Jazz Band will perform from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. | Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Islamic Arts Festival Houston

Experience the rich culture of Islamic arts from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Saturday at the Masjid Al-Salam located at 16700 Old Louetta Rd, Spring, TX 77379. There will be paintings, ceramic tile work, wood carvings, Ebru art, the chance to have henna done and the chance to get your name written in Arabic calligraphy.
Price: Free

Around! A Parade on Wheels

Watch a variety of things on wheels, art cars, bicycles, low riders and paleteros to name a few, parade from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday through the East End here. There will be an after-party with food trucks and a DJ. The Parade will start at the corner of York and Preston streets, and the after-party will happen at the intersection of Preston and Roberts streets.
Price: Free

Discovery Green Flea Market

Discovery Green is hosting another flea market from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. this Saturday and every third Saturday of the month where visitors are free to scour the booths and food trucks available. A partial list of vendors can be found here.
Price: Free