Cougars gain bowl eligibility with tough win

Junior running back Kenneth Farrow had every reason to celebrate after Saturday’s 38-28 win as he totaled 126 yards with a career-best four touchdowns. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The Cougars became eligible for a bowl game Saturday afternoon as junior running back Kenneth Farrow had a career-best performance in the 38-28 win over the Tulsa Hurricane.

Farrow set a career-best after rushing for 126 yards and four touchdowns against the Tulsa defense, leading Houston’s offense.

The Cougars came out strong in the first quarter as they quickly jumped to a 14-0 lead with two one-yard touchdowns from Farrow.

The Cougars fell off in the second quarter as they failed to put anything on the board but allowed the Hurricane to tack on seven points to close the first quarter and another seven to open the second.

To open the second half of the game, Tulsa came out ready to make it a tough two quarters for the Houston defense.

Tulsa opened their third quarter with a long drive to tie the game at 14. From that moment on, the game would go back and forth between Cougar leads and tie games.

Farrow set the Cougars up 21-14 in the third with a huge 45-yard rushing touchdown to stand out from his previous one-yarder and his following two-yard touchdown to later put the Cougars up 35-28.

Senior receiver Markeith Ambles would be the only receiver with a touchdown in Saturday’s win as sophomore quarterback Greg Ward Jr. found him for 25 yards late in the third quarter. Ward would finish the game with 225 passing yards after completing 17 of 22 passes, falling just shy of the team’s 246 rushing yards.

The Cougars kept their turnover streak alive as they picked up three in the fourth quarter. With interceptions from freshman corner Howard Wilson, junior safety Adrian McDonald and junior safety Trevon Stewart, Houston increased its streak of consecutive games with a forced turnover to 33, tying them for longest active streak with Ole Miss.

Houston is now bowl eligible as they sit in the top half of the American Athletic Conference with a record of 4-2 and 6-4 overall. The Cougars look to improve their conference and bowl standings as they travel to Dallas this coming Friday.