Herman confirmed as new Houston head coach

Tom_Herman,_Offensive_Coordinator,_Ohio_State_Buckeyes_Football

Houston and Tom Herman reached a $6.75 million agreement as the Ohio State offensive coordinator will be the 13th head coach for the Cougars. | Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Houston Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Mack Rhoades announced Tuesday that Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman will come to Houston football as the program’s 13th head coach.

Herman will continue to coach at Ohio State through the remainder of their season, but will head to Houston for his Friday press conference at TDECU Stadium after he and the University of Houston settled over a five-year, $6.75 million contract agreement.

“Due to the progress of our University and Athletics program we received great interest from a number of talented candidates nationally. Throughout this process, Tom Herman’s name continued to rise above the rest of the field,” said Rhoades in a release Tuesday. “He is an extremely gifted football coach and his aptitude to lead and connect with his student-athletes is special.

Herman has spent 11 years of his coaching at the collegiate level in the state of Texas, including a brief tenure in the city of Houston at Rice University from 2007 to 2008. Herman looks forward to mold Houston into a more competitive team as he has helped develop record-setting offenses in each of his 10 seasons as an offensive coordinator.

“This is a tremendous opportunity for my family and I to come back to Houston and lead one of the top programs in the country,” said Herman in a release Tuesday. “I am looking forward to working with one of the top athletic directors in the country as well as Chancellor Khator in a partnership that will make the city of Houston and the great state of Texas proud.”

Herman and the Buckeyes won the 2014 Big Ten Championship and continuing play as Ohio State entered the College Football Playoff with the nation’s fifth ranked offense, averaging 7.04 yards per play. Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer will have a hard time replacing the effectiveness of Herman’s coaching and looks forward to seeing what he can do in Houston.

“Tom has done an excellent job for us. Our staff and I have enjoyed working with him. We wish him all the best in his new position as head coach at the University of Houston,” said Meyer in a release Tuesday. “Houston is not only getting an excellent coach, but an excellent person and family man. I wish him all the best.”