Women's Basketball

Smith hits career mark as Cougars battle Tulane

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_4717

Junior guard Alecia Smith became the seventh Cougar in school history to total 100 career three-pointers during Tuesday night’s 46-63 loss. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The Houston women’s basketball team played hard on Tuesday’s Los Coogs night from the first whistle, but ultimately fell to Tulane 46-63 at Hofheinz Pavilion after a career milestone from junior guard Alecia Smith.

Despite the outcome, the Cougars had strong individual performances and were led offensively by junior forward Tyler Gilbert and Smith, each with 13 points.

Gilbert also recorded 10 rebounds and three blocks for her third double-double of the season.

“The team has really embraced what she can be for us,” UH head coach Ronald Hughey said. “It’s a double-double every night.”

Smith hit two three-pointers in the second half, becoming the seventh Cougar in history to record 100 career three-pointers.

The Cougars (6-14, 1-8) started off hot, leading for over nine minutes and holding the Green Wave (16-4, 7-2) to 33.3% shooting in the first half, but went into the break down 26-18.

The Green Wave built up a double-digit lead that was never surrendered after the Cougars were held scoreless for the first three minutes of the second half.

“(Tonight) would have been a huge win, but (we) have to take care of all the small things,” Hughey siad. “(We) have to be consistent to win against teams like that.”

The Cougars will start a two-game road trip Saturday when they travel to Cincinnati for a rematch of the double-overtime loss at Hofheinz on Jan 7.

The road trip will conclude on Tuesday, Feb. 3 when they travel to East Carolina.

The next home game for the Cougars will be on Saturday, Feb. 7 as they host Tulsa for Daddy/Daughter Date Night at Hofheinz Pavilion.