Activities & Organizations News

CDI to host conversation, raise awareness on religion and spirituality

This week, the Center for Diversity and Inclusion is hosting “Cultural Conversations: Religion and Spirituality,” an intercultural dialogue about the distinctions between and intersections of religion and spirituality as a part of the AD Bruce Religion Center’s 50th anniversary.

The conversation will be from 12 to 1 p.m. on Tuesday in the Student Center South, Room B12. Students of all backgrounds are encouraged to participate in the dialogue.

“Not many universities have Religion Centers, and we are in a unique position to not only have one but also to have this conversation that explores this aspect of diversity,” said CDI director Niya Blair.

The conversation, which will be led by student panelists, will focus on sharing personal definitions and interpretations of religion and spirituality. Individuals are encouraged to add to the dialogue by sharing how they connect with various identities. CDI is hoping that through the conversation, students will understanding while valuing diversity in all areas of life is so important to the university.

“The Center for Diversity and Inclusion acknowledges religion and spirituality as important aspects of diversity,” Blair said. “We have a highly diverse campus and it’s important for us as a Center to make sure voices from all aspects are heard, understood and valued.”

“It is important to continually have open dialogues about new and/or unfamiliar topics with individuals of various backgrounds and experiences because it can help expand our base understanding and help us view these topics from a perspective different than our own,” Blair said. “We hope to provide individuals of different backgrounds the opportunity to engage with one another while discussing different thoughts and points of view in a respectful and educational way.”

“We hope to expand others’ minds in regards to diversity and move the conversation forward.”

Students can learn more about the conversation by visiting CDI’s website.