News Student Government

SGA to vote on ‘No Confidence’ bill

The Student Government Association will cast its vote on University Bill 51006, titled “No Confidence in the Division of Administration and Finance,” following a slew of complaints against the administration by SGA and SGA President Charles Haston.

The bill asks for the top three University officials to resign from their positions: Executive Vice President Carl Carlucci, Associate Vice President Emily Messa and Assistant Vice President Esmeralda Valdez.

“I think students should know that we did not come to this decision lightly,” Haston said. “We consider it the nuclear option. But we have exhausted our ability to compromise, communicate or work in any capacity with the senior administrators in (the Division of) Administration and Finance.”

Haston said that the organization had “absolute full faith and confidence in” President and Chancellor Renu Khator.

“Her leadership behind the scenes through this tough time has shown how incredible of a leader she is,” Haston said. “When we brought our concerns to her, she immediately called for an internal audit investigation, which should be complete in the coming weeks. She always puts students first.”

Haston also said they do not want the trio to be fired immediately.

“There should be a calculated and orderly transition,” Haston said. “I hope what comes of this is Dr. Carlucci announces he will retire by the end of the year.”

Recently, a student began a petition on change.org that voices many students’ support of SGA’s “No Confidence” vote. At the time of publication, the petition has reached over 1,000 signatures.

SGA will hold the meeting at 7:30 Wednesday in the Senate Chamber, located in Student Center North.

• Haston, you are a fool! One year resignation? That is 10 months. What about immediate resignation? President Khator too!
    You suck up! Incredible leader? Puts students first? This president and her administration have gotten rich off of the State. Shady deals and high life living with a limo driver and free mansion living. You think she doesn’t know what her buddy Carl Carlucci has done that she brought here; she has been friends with since before she came here? She writes a few blogs and tweets and puts up some buildings ( some using our fees) and people buy that? Captain goes down with the ship!
    Maybe she can just apologize to UH like she did Senator Whitmire “we are idiots to allow it” “I am sorry to have disappointed you” and all will be forgiven.

• I really like president. I met her one time. She is nice lady. I guess you are right. A leader must be responsible for their workers. If there is violation she should be honorable. Sad for her to go.

• That’s right! Carlucci reports to her and the buck stops on her desk. By now she should have taken action. That would have been true leadership; not hiding behind the scenes. She sold an image for UH built out of debt (student and tax payer money). UH is at the brink of financial collapse. Her plan was to move somewhere else and leave the debt behind. She has a mediocre fund raising record (one of the main jobs of a president); yet she is the 4th highest paid president in public universities in US. No surprise that she could not find a job anywhere else. She reminds me Ken Lay…

• Yall complaining is a joke. Both her and Carl Carluci gotta do what they gotta do. Yall complainin about her limo and big house. The stadium up ain’t it? The work gettin done on basketball ain’t it? Dealing with these politicians and people, sometimes you gotta do stuff outside the rules to make it happen. That ain’t free! Give her two cars and a raise! She come here and turn this place around. Don’t matter how it got done, it got done. I think she the best president ANYWHERE! So step off!