Monday, October 19, 2020

Administration

Carl Carlucci: The man in charge of UH’s wallet

carlucci

Carlucci has been brought to the forefront of discussion after SGA passed a vote of “No Confidence” that asks for him and his deputies to resign. | Courtesy of UH

There are two sides to every story. After the Student Government Association and its president, Charles Haston, recently passed a vote of “No Confidence” in Administration and Finance Vice President Carl Carlucci and his deputies Emily Messa and Esmeralda Valdez, many may find themselves wondering one thing: Who is Carl Carlucci?

Here’s an overview of his past experience and the work he’s done during his tenure at UH.

Education:

• Bachelor’s in economics — State University of New York at Stony Brook
  • Master’s in urban and policy services — State University of New York at Stony Brook
  • Ph.D. in public administration — New York University

Experience:

• Executive vice president and chief financial officer — University of South Florida (2001-2008)
    • Carlucci is credited with leading the development of USF’s Research Park, described as “a critical piece in the elaborate mosaic of high-tech economic development,” according to the USF website.
    • He is credited with adding 1,000 beds of student housing, three parking garages and nine new buildings to the USF campus, including two research buildings with labs and two clinics.
    • Carlucci managed every aspect of financing throughout construction because the projects were not state-funded.

Work at UH:

Although Haston’s allegations against Carlucci accuse him of having a staff that is not “capable of actually doing their jobs,” Carlucci has spearheaded many on-campus construction projects and has overseen the financial backing and opening of:

• Calhoun Lofts in 2009
  • East Parking Garage in 2009
  • Fresh Food Company in 2010
  • Cougar Village in 2010
  • Renovation of Jack J. Valenti School of Communication in 2011
  • Cougar Village 2 in 2013
  • Demolition and renovation of Cougar Place in 2013
  • Welcome Center Parking Garage in 2013

Tags: , , ,